Four more South African soldiers killed in Congo, defence department says

Congolese civilians attend rally against Rwanda in Bukavu
FILE PHOTO: Congolese demonstrators attend a protest against Rwanda, amid tensions following a clash in Goma between M23 rebels and the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC); in Bukavu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo January 27, 2025. REUTERS/Victoire Mukenge/File Photo
Source: REUTERS

Four more South African soldiers have been killed in fighting with M23 rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the government said, taking the number of South African peacekeepers killed to 13 since the conflict escalated last week.

South African troops are in Congo as part of U.N. and Southern African missions.

The Department of Defence said in a statement that on Monday M23 rebels had launched mortar bombs in the direction of Goma airport in eastern Congo, resulting in three SANDF (South African National Defence Force) soldiers being killed.

Another soldier injured in combat with M23 rebels over the past three days died from their injuries, it added.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

US oil investment push

Niger Roundup: US oil investment push, security concerns in Bilma, soaring meat prices grip Niger

Earlier the government said nine South African peacekeepers had been killed.

The defence department said on Tuesday that the SANDF remained committed to its peacekeeping duties in Congo under the U.N.-mandated MONUSCO and Southern African Development Community (SADC) missions.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.