Geneva branch of Gaza aid delivery group could face court action

Visual story on the ordeal Gazans endure to get food under new aid distribution programme in Khan Younis
FILE PHOTO: Palestinians carry aid supplies from the U.S.-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, in Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, May 29, 2025. REUTERS/Hatem Khaled/ File Photo
Source: REUTERS

By Olivia Le Poidevin

The Geneva branch of an Israeli- and U.S.-backed group that delivers aid to Gaza has been ordered to comply with its registration requirements or face possible court action.

The Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) began distributing food packages in Gaza at the end of May, overseeing a new model of aid distribution which has been criticised by the United Nations.

The GHF is registered in the United States. It registered an affiliate in Geneva on February 12.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

There IS a war in Europe!' - Magyar

Hungary's Magyar calls for stronger military amid European uncertainty

A legal document posted on the Commercial Register of the Swiss Canton of Geneva dated Thursday said the GHF affiliate had "deficiencies in the organization that is mandatory by law."

The registry gave the GHF 30 days to fix those deficiencies. If it fails to comply, the case will be forwarded to a local court or supervisory authority for action against it, it said.

The GHF did not immediately respond to a request for comment emailed by Reuters.

The GHF has previously dismissed U.N. criticism of its operations in Gaza and has told Reuters that the only GHF entity in use today is the foundation established in the U.S.

The notification by the Geneva registry is separate to a potential investigation that the Swiss Federal Department of Home Affairs is considering launching into the foundation.

Swiss authorities had previously told Reuters that the foundation does not meet legal requirements including having the right number of board members, a postal address or a Swiss bank account.

Since Israel lifted an 11-week aid blockade on Gaza on May 19, allowing limited U.N. deliveries to resume, the United Nations says more than 400 Palestinians have been killed in the enclave seeking aid from both the GHF and U.N. operations.

The GHF denies there have been any incidents at its sites and said this week that its aid was being securely delivered.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Djibouti Flag

Djibouti Roundup: EU security ties, tributes to a national statesman, and new UN development partnerships

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.