Israel intercepts two missiles launched from Yemen, military says

The interception of a missile, that the Israeli military said to have been fired from Yemen, is seen from the city of Ashkelon
FILE PHOTO: The interception of a missile, that the Israeli military said to have been fired from Yemen, is seen from the city of Ashkelon, Israel, May 22, 2025. REUTERS/Amir Cohen/File photo
Source: REUTERS

Israel's military said it intercepted two missiles launched from Yemen and that sirens had sounded twice across the country including in Jerusalem and the occupied West Bank on Thursday, as the Iran-aligned Houthis stepped up attacks.

Houthi Military Spokesperson Yahya Saree said the group launched a ballistic missile towards Israel's Ben Gurion Airport and two drones towards the Tel Aviv area.

Undeterred by Israeli strikes on Yemen, the Houthis said they would continue to fire at Israel even though they have agreed to a ceasefire with the United States to halt attacks on U.S. ships in the Red Sea.

Israel has carried out retaliatory strikes including one on May 6 that damaged Yemen's main airport in Sanaa, and another last week targeting the Red Sea ports of Hodeidah and Salif.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

There IS a war in Europe!' - Magyar

Hungary's Magyar calls for stronger military amid European uncertainty

Since the start of the war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza in October 2023, the Houthis have launched dozens of missile and drone attacks targeting Israel, most of which have been intercepted or have fallen short.

The group says it is acting in support of Gaza's Palestinians.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.