Russia still working on draft peace memorandum, says foreign ministry

FILE PHOTO: Spokeswoman of Russian Foreign Ministry Maria Zakharova attends a press conference in Nizhny Novgorod
FILE PHOTO: Spokeswoman of Russian Foreign Ministry Maria Zakharova attends a press conference held by Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on the sidelines of a meeting of foreign ministers of the BRICS group of nations in the city of Nizhny Novgorod, Russia June 11, 2024. REUTERS/Maxim Shemetov/File Photo
Source: REUTERS

Russia is continuing to work on the draft memorandum setting out the principles of a possible future peace accord to end the war in Ukraine, Russia's foreign ministry said on Tuesday.

Russian President Vladimir Putin, after a call with U.S. President Donald Trump earlier this month, said that Moscow was ready to work with Ukraine on a memorandum about a future peace accord.

Putin said the memorandum would define the principles of a possible settlement, the timing of a possible peace agreement and details about a possible ceasefire.

Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said work was continuing on the Russian draft and that once the document was ready it would be handed over to Ukraine.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

The rescue dog that located 26 people

Meet Tsunami, the rescue dog who helped locate 26 people after Venezuela’s earthquakes

"Russia continues to develop a draft memorandum on a future peace treaty, defining a number of positions, such as the principles of settlement, the timing of a possible peace agreement, and a potential ceasefire for a certain amount of time if appropriate agreements are reached," she said.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.