Blast at Spain's Barcelona port kills one person, emergency services say
A blast at the Port of Barcelona has killed a person and "affected" another, emergency services in the northeastern Catalonia region said on Tuesday, adding the ensuing fire had been put out.
In a post on social messaging platform X, the emergency services said the explosion took place during maintenance work at the so-called "Energy Wharf", where chemicals, natural gas and refined petroleum products are loaded.
Barcelona's city hall said in a statement it had received an alert "for a fire caused by the explosion of a transport tank" at 10.40 a.m. (0940 GMT) and subsequently activated its chemical risk emergency plan.
The companies in the area have ordered the confinement of their staff as a precautionary measure, the statement added.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

RSF index reveals that press freedom gaps widened globally in 2025
This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.