Bolivian general who led failed coup gets six months pre-trial detention

Bolivian General Juan Jose Zuniga is presented following his arrest by the authorities for a coup attempt in La Paz
Bolivian General Juan Jose Zuniga is presented following his arrest by the authorities for a coup attempt in La Paz, Bolivia June 26, 2024. REUTERS/Claudia Morales
Source: REUTERS

Bolivian general who led failed coup gets six months pre-trial detention

Detained Bolivian general Juan Jose Zuniga was ordered to six months "preventive detention" for his role leading a failed coup against the government earlier in the week, a top prosecutor said on Friday.

The Attorney General's Office requested the six months detention and said other government bodies, including the Defense Ministry and Interior Ministry, supported the request "due to the importance and seriousness of the events that occurred," state prosecutor Cesar Siles said.

"This preventive detention that the judge is ordering will undoubtedly set a precedent and a good signal so that this investigation can continue to advance," Siles added.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Press freedom

RSF index reveals that press freedom gaps widened globally in 2025

Before being arrested on Wednesday, Zuniga led military units to gather in the main square of capital La Paz, home to the presidential palace and Congress. An armored vehicle rammed a palace door to allow soldiers to rush into the building.

Zuniga has been handed a terrorism charge, which carries 15-20 years in prison, Siles said, as well as a charge for an armed uprising, which carries a sentence of 5-15 years.

Zuniga has said he was following an order from President Luis Arce, who has denied having any involvement in or prior knowledge of Zuniga's operation.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.