Early US assessment suggests strikes on Iran did not destroy nuclear sites, CNN reports

A satellite view shows an overview of Fordow underground complex, before the U.S. struck the underground nuclear facility, near Qom
A satellite view shows an overview of Fordow underground complex, before the U.S. struck the underground nuclear facility, near Qom, Iran June 20, 2025. MAXAR TECHNOLOGIES/Handout via REUTERS/File Photo
Source: Handout

An early intelligence assessment indicated that the U.S. military strikes on three of Iran's nuclear facilities last weekend did not destroy the core components of Tehran's nuclear program and likely only set it back by months, CNN reported on Tuesday, citing three people briefed on it.

After days of deliberation, U.S. forces struck Iran's three main nuclear sites on Saturday. President Donald Trump said Iran's key nuclear enrichment facilities had been completely and "totally obliterated," an assertion he has since repeated.

While over a dozen bombs were dropped on two of the nuclear facilities, the Fordow Fuel Enrichment plant and the Natanz Enrichment Complex, they did not fully eliminate the sites' centrifuges and highly enriched uranium, CNN reported, citing people familiar with the early assessment.

Citing two people familiar with the assessment, CNN reported that Iran's stockpile of enriched uranium had not been destroyed.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Japan's PM triggers media storm over Three Non-Nuclear Principles

Takaichi sparks debate over Japan's non-nuclear principles

It said the assessment was produced by the Defense Intelligence Agency - Pentagon's intelligence arm - and is based on a battle damage assessment conducted by the U.S. Central Command after the U.S. strikes.

The report by the Defense Intelligence Agency estimated that the program was delayed less than six months, the New York Times said in another report.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt dismissed the CNN report in a social media post.

"This alleged "assessment" is flat-out wrong and was classified as "top secret" but was still leaked to CNN," Leavitt said on X.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.