Earthquake damages part of Pompeii site in southern Italy

A minor earthquake in southern Italy has caused the partial collapse of a wall and a portion of a vault at the Pompeii archaeological site, authorities said on Thursday.
The quake with a magnitude of 3.2 on Thursday morning was the latest in a series of tremors centred on the nearby Campi Flegrei super volcano close to the city of Naples.
The affected area of Pompeii had been damaged in a major earthquake that hit southern Italy in 1980 and had since been shored up and restored.
There were no frescoes or movable relics in the damaged structure and no one was injured.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Survivors mourn 52 killed in Nigeria boat capsizing
Gabriel Zuchtriegel, the site's director, said checks were being carried out to ensure no other areas had been affected.
The ancient settlement of Pompeii was destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD.
This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.