Egypt demands Israel withdraws from Rafah crossing for it to operate again, sources say
- #Africa
- #Overseas Development Aid
- #Americas
- #Asia
- #Pacific
- #Fundamental Rights
- #Civil Liberties
- #Conflicts
- #War
- #Peace
- #Europe
- #Middle East and Africa
- #Emerging Market Countries
- #Aid Relief
- #Humanitarian Agencies
- #International Agencies
- #Treaty Groups
- #Middle East
- #North Africa
- #North America
- #Non-Governmental Organizations
- #government
- #Politics
- #International
- #National Security
- #South-West Asia
- #United Nations
- #Civil Unrest
- #Military Conflicts

Egypt demands Israel withdraws from Rafah crossing for it to operate again, sources say
Officials from the United States, Israel and Egypt ended a meeting in Cairo on Sunday with Egypt sticking to its position that Israel must withdraw from the Palestinian side of the Rafah crossing for it to operate again, two Egyptian security sources said.
Israel seized the crossing on the Gaza side in May during its offensive in the city of Rafah along the enclave's southern edge, angering Egypt which said it would stop cooperating with Israel on the crucial artery for aid into the strip and evacuations out of it.
The Egyptian security sources said Sunday's meeting was positive despite there being no agreement on reopening of the crossing. Egypt's delegation at the meeting said it would be open to European monitors at the border to oversee its operation by Palestinian authorities if Palestinian authorities agreed to resume work.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Niger Roundup: US oil investment push, security concerns in Bilma, soaring meat prices grip Niger
Israeli and U.S. officials said they would work quickly to remove the obstacles to the operation of the crossing, the Egyptian sources said.
Tensions have risen between Egypt and Israel over the takeover of the southern border, which Israel said had been completed on Wednesday.
While Egypt facilitated the entrance of aid through the Kerem Shalom crossing last week, the re-opening of Rafah is crucial as humanitarian agencies warn of looming famine in Gaza.
This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.