G7 voices concerns on Venezuelan election

Anti-Maduro protests spread as Venezuelan opposition says he stole the votes, in Caracas
People react to the camera from inside the Argentinian embassy in Caracas, Venezuela July 31, 2024. REUTERS/Alexandre Meneghini
Source: REUTERS

G7 voices concerns on Venezuelan election

By Angelo Amante

Group of Seven (G7) foreign ministers approved a declaration on Wednesday voicing solidarity with the Venezuelan people and concern about the announced election results, which sparked protests across the South American nation.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro claimed victory in the country's elections early this week, but the opposition contested the result and said multiple independent exit polls and quick counts decisively showed its candidate had won.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Press freedom

RSF index reveals that press freedom gaps widened globally in 2025

G7 foreign ministers called on "Venezuelan representatives to publish detailed election results in full transparency" and asked "to immediately share all information with the opposition and independent observers," a statement seen by Reuters said.

"We call for maximum restraint and for a peaceful, democratic and Venezuelan-led solution," it added.

Italy holds the rotating presidency of the G7 for 2024. The group also includes Germany, France, Britain, Canada, Japan and the United States.

"On the Maduro regime, I have always maintained a firm condemnation since I have held office in European institutions," said Antonio Tajani, the leader of the centre-right Forza Italia party and a former president of the European Union parliament.

"The announced results do not seem to reflect the real will of the Venezuelan people," Tajani told lawmakers in the Italian lower house of parliament.

The U.S.-based Carter Center, which observed the vote, has said that the Venezuelan election "did not meet international standards of electoral integrity and cannot be considered democratic."

Protesters have taken to the streets across Venezuela demanding Maduro acknowledge his defeat, although the electoral authority declared that he had won a third term with 51% of votes.

The opposition, which considers the election body to be in the pocket of a dictatorial government, said its candidate Edmundo Gonzalez had more than twice as many votes as Maduro based on the 90% of vote tallies it had been able to access.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Aftermath of a Russian missile attack on an apartment building, in Ternopil

G7 and European leaders discuss Ukraine plan on margins of G20, sources say

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.