Israeli strikes kill 33 people in Jabalia refugee camp in Gaza, medics say

FILE PHOTO: Palestinians walk past destroyed houses, in Jabalia refugee camp
FILE PHOTO: Palestinians walk past destroyed houses, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas, in Jabalia refugee camp, in the northern Gaza Strip February 22, 2024. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa/File Photo
Source: REUTERS

By Nidal al-Mughrabi

At least 33 people were killed and 85 wounded in Israeli strikes that hit several houses on Friday in Jabalia, the largest of Gaza's eight historic refugee camps, medics said, where residents said tanks blew up roads and houses.

The Hamas-run Gaza government media office said the death toll from the strikes could rise because some people were believed to be trapped under the rubble, and the Palestinian official news agency WAFA said children were among those killed. There was no immediate Israeli comment.

Other Israeli strikes killed at least 39 Palestinians across Gaza on Friday, 20 of them in Jabalia, the Gaza health ministry said.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Press freedom

RSF index reveals that press freedom gaps widened globally in 2025

Residents of Jabalia said Israeli tanks had reached the heart of the camp after pushing through suburbs and residential districts. They said the Israeli army was destroying dozens of houses daily, from the air and the ground, and by placing bombs in buildings then detonating them remotely.

The Israeli military said its forces, which have been operating in Jabalia for the past two weeks, killed dozens of militants in close-quarters combat on Thursday, carried out aerial strikes, and dismantled military infrastructure.

On Thursday Israel said it had killed the country's number one enemy, Hamas chief Yahya Sinwar, whom it blamed for ordering the Oct. 7 attack on Israel -- the deadliest in the history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The Israeli military says its operation in Jabalia is intended to stop Hamas fighters regrouping for more attacks.

Residents said Israeli forces had effectively isolated the far northern Gazan towns of Beit Hanoun, Jabalia, and Beit Lahiya from Gaza City, blocking movement except for those families heeding evacuation orders and leaving the three towns.

They said communications and internet services had been cut, disrupting rescue operations.

APPEAL FOR IMMEDIATE HOSPITAL SUPPLIES

On Friday, health officials appealed for fuel, medical supplies and food to be sent immediately to three northern Gaza hospitals overwhelmed by the number of patients and injuries.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Aftermath of a Russian missile attack on an apartment building, in Ternopil

G7 and European leaders discuss Ukraine plan on margins of G20, sources say

At the Kamal Adwan Hospital, medics said they had to replace children in intensive care with more critical cases of adults badly wounded by Israeli airstrikes on a school sheltering displaced Palestinians in Jabalia on Thursday.

Israel said it had targeted militants holed up in the complex.

Kamal Adwan's director, Hussam Abu Safiya, said in a video sent to media that the children had been moved to another division inside the facility, where they were being cared for. He said medical staff were exhausted and hospital supplies, including food, were badly depleted.

Israel said it sent about 30 truckloads of aid into northern Gaza on Friday, including food, water, medical supplies, and shelter equipment. "We're fighting Hamas, we're not fighting the people of Gaza," military spokesperson Nadav Shoshani told journalists in an online briefing.

Hamas and health officials say the aid has not been reaching the worst affected areas, including the three isolated towns.

Philippe Lazzarini, head of the U.N. Palestinian refugee agency UNRWA, said on X that the attack on the school was the third on an UNRWA facility this week, and that the agency had lost 231 team members in the past year of fighting.

Northern Gaza, which had been home to well over half the territory's 2.3 million people, was bombed to rubble in the first phase of Israel's assault a year ago.

Israel began its military campaign after the Oct. 7 attacks on southern Israel by Hamas-led fighters, who killed 1,200 people and captured 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) holds a two-day job fair in Arlington

US hires 50,000 federal workers under Trump, boosting immigration roles

More than 42,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israel's offensive so far, according to Gaza's health authorities.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.