Norwegian mass murderer Anders Breivik denied parole

FILE PHOTO: Anders Behring Breivik attends a court hearing at Ringerike prison, in Tyristrand
FILE PHOTO: Anders Behring Breivik and attorney Marte Lindholm attend a court hearing at Ringerike prison, in Tyristrand, Norway, January 8, 2024. Cornelius Poppe/NTB/via REUTERS/File Photo
Source: REUTERS

A Norwegian court ruled on Wednesday that mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik will not be released early from jail, denying a request by the man who killed 77 people in 2011, his lawyer said.

Lawyer Oeystein Storrvik said Breivik would appeal the decision. The court was not immediately available for comment.

In the Nordic country's worst peacetime atrocity, the anti-Muslim neo-Nazi on July 22, 2011 killed eight with a car bomb in Oslo and then gunned down 69, most of them teenagers, at a Labour Party youth camp on Utoeya island.

The court heard Breivik's petition for parole, his second, in November. During that hearing, he said the attacks had been "necessary".

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Press freedom

RSF index reveals that press freedom gaps widened globally in 2025

The 45-year-old has served 13 years of a 21-year sentence, the maximum penalty at the time of his crimes, which can be extended for as long as he is deemed a threat to society.

He can apply for parole a year after each rejection.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.