Philippines summons Chinese envoy over sanctions against former senator

Philippines National Flag is pictured as the rainbow displays over it a day before the annual procession to celebrate Black Nazarene feast day at Quirino Grandstand in Manila
FILE PHOTO: The Philippine national flag is pictured in Manila, Philippines, January 8, 2020. REUTERS/Willy Kurniawan/File photo
Source: X06610

The Philippines' foreign ministry has summoned China's ambassador to Manila over Beijing's imposition of sanctions against former senator Francis Tolentino, the president's office said on Tuesday.

Tolentino, who lost his bid for a second term in the Philippines' midterm elections in May, was banned from mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau over "egregious conduct" detrimental to relations between Manila and Beijing.

Tolentino helped in approving laws last year that defined the country's sea lanes and maritime zones, which China opposed. He also accused the Chinese embassy of contracting a firm that maintains troll farms to sow disinformation.

"The imposition of punitive measures ... is inconsistent with the norms of mutual respect and dialogue that underpin relations between two equal sovereign states," presidential press officer Claire Castro told a briefing.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Indonesian flag sweeps through Yogyakarta

Giant Indonesian flag carried through Yogyakarta ahead of Independence Day

Manila's foreign ministry said it summoned Chinese ambassador Huang Xilian on Friday. China's embassy in Manila said in a statement the ambassador notified the Philippines' foreign ministry of China's decision to impose sanctions on Tolentino.

"It should be noted that such sanctions fall purely within China’s legal prerogative, and there are consequences for hurting China’s interests," the embassy said.

The Chinese foreign ministry has previously accused some Filipino politicians of making "malicious remarks and moves" that hurt ties between the two nations.

Relations between China and the Philippines have soured under President Ferdinand Marcos over a longstanding dispute in the South China Sea.

In 2016, an international tribunal ruled Beijing's sweeping claims to the waterway had no basis in international law. China has rejected the decision. Several other countries in Southeast Asia also claim parts of the South China Sea.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.