Russia says it downs five Ukrainian drones south of Moscow

Russia says it downs five Ukrainian drones south of Moscow

Russia said its air defences intercepted five Ukrainian drones south of Moscow in the space of less than an hour on Friday.

The defence ministry said four were intercepted over Kaluga region and a fifth was destroyed inside the Moscow region.

Moscow mayor Sergei Sobyanin, apparently referring to the latter incident, said fragments of the drone had fallen in the city of Podolsk but no casualties or damage had been reported.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Zelensky presses partners for MORE foreign military funding

Zelensky seeks more foreign funding to cover Ukraine's military spending

Drone attacks aimed at Moscow have subsided since the summer, when they repeatedly hit a business district of the capital and forced frequent airport closures. In May, two drones exploded on the roof of a building in the Kremlin, without causing any serious damage.

Ukraine said on Thursday that Russia had launched about 7,400 missiles and 3,700 Iranian-made Shahed drones at targets in Ukraine in the course of the 22-month war.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.