UN probing reported mass grave on Libya-Tunisia border

FILE PHOTO: Turk UN High Commissioner for Human Rights addresses the Human Rights Council in Geneva
FILE PHOTO: Volker Turk United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights addresses the Human Rights Council on his report on the situation of human rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and the obligation to ensure accountability and justice at the UN in Geneva, Switzerland, February 29, 2024. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse//File Photo
Source: REUTERS

UN probing reported mass grave on Libya-Tunisia border

By Emma Farge

The U.N. human rights chief said on Tuesday that his office was following up on reports of a mass grave in the desert along the Libya-Tunisia border, after the bodies of at least 65 migrants were found at another site this year.

Volker Turk denounced widespread violations against migrants and refugees in Libya, which straddles a dangerous transit route through the Sahara Desert and across the southern Mediterranean.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Press freedom

RSF index reveals that press freedom gaps widened globally in 2025

Abuses against migrants were being "perpetrated at scale, with impunity" by both state and non-state actors, Turk said, listing crimes including human trafficking, torture, forced labour, extortion, starvation, detention and mass expulsions.

"I urge the authorities to respond swiftly to our inquiries, and to investigate these crimes fully," he told the U.N. Human Rights Council in Geneva in a speech addressing Libya's record over the last year, where he noted "disturbing developments".

He gave no further details of the mass grave. A spokesperson at Turk's office said: "We have not received information from the authorities but we are continuing to follow up on this."

In March, at least 65 bodies of migrants were discovered at a mass grave site in southwest Libya's al-Jahriya valley about 420 km (260 miles) south of Tripoli, the U.N.'s International Organization for Migration said.

Libya's Justice Minister Halima Ibrahim Abdulrahman stressed her country's commitment to human rights and did not respond directly to Turk's comments on the mass graves.

"Libya gives special importance to the rights of refugees," she told the council, adding that some of Turk's points were "not in line with reality".

Tunisia's ambassador Sabri Bachtobji did not address Turk's findings in his address.

Libya and Tunisia are vital partners in the European Union's efforts to stem the flow of migrants across the Mediterranean from North Africa into southern Europe.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Aftermath of a Russian missile attack on an apartment building, in Ternopil

G7 and European leaders discuss Ukraine plan on margins of G20, sources say

A U.N. fact-finding mission on Libya has previously found grounds to believe crimes against humanity such as torture have been committed against migrants.

The mission expired last year, however, Gambia has filed a motion at the ongoing council meeting to provide assistance to help Libya improve its human-rights record, a U.N. document showed.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.