Zambia Roundup: Election irregularities, Kafwaya death probe and ZCCM-IH’s K4.92bn loss

Police summon Brian Mundubile and Makebi Zulu over alleged national security threats
Zambia Police have summoned opposition leader Brian Mundubile and his running mate Makebi Zulu for questioning over alleged offences linked to national security, days after a tense presidential election and a deadly security operation involving senior opposition figures. The development is among the major stories highlighted in the August 21 media briefing. Mundubile, the presidential candidate of the National Reconciliation Party for Unity and Prosperity (NRPUP), finished second to President Hakainde Hichilema in the August 13 election. Police said Mundubile and Zulu had sought refuge with an international organisation and that authorities knew where they were. Police also said the organisation had been assured that the two men would receive due process and would not be harmed. Police said the pair would be questioned over what they described as “various alarming activities” taking place in the country, some allegedly connected to premises owned by or associated with them. Call-out notices were served on their lawyers. Mundubile has previously rejected allegations of a national security plot and described the authorities’ claims as fabricated.
Election monitors say Hichilema won but flag irregularities in 30 constituencies
The Christian Churches Monitoring Group (CCMG) says its independent assessment confirms that President Hakainde Hichilema received more than the 50% required to win Zambia’s presidential election without a run-off, but it also found serious discrepancies in results from 30 constituencies. The finding is one of the key developments identified in the briefing. CCMG deployed 1,500 stationary observers using its Process and Results Verification for Transparency methodology. It received results from 1,491 of the 1,500 sampled polling stations, representing 99.4% of its sample. Its statistical estimate put Hichilema, of the ruling UPND, at 56.0% ±1.7%, while Mundubile was estimated at 42.3% ±1.7%. Voter turnout was estimated at 53.5% ±0.6%, sharply below the 70.6% recorded in 2021. The official Electoral Commission of Zambia results gave Hichilema 60.49%, or 2,965,326 votes, against Mundubile’s 37.87%, or 1,856,217 votes. CCMG said the official totals did not fall within its estimated ranges because of results from 30 constituencies where official turnout was considerably higher than expected and the additional votes overwhelmingly benefited the UPND.
Law Association demands independent investigation into Mutotwe Kafwaya’s death
The Law Association of Zambia (LAZ) has called for an independent investigation into the death of former Transport and Communications Minister Mutotwe Kafwaya, saying conflicting accounts surrounding his death have raised serious questions. The call is highlighted in the August 21 briefing. Inspector General of Police Graphel Musamba confirmed that Kafwaya’s family had identified him as the man fatally wounded during a shootout in the Kabulonga area of Lusaka on Friday, August 14. His whereabouts had been the subject of speculation for several days following the security operation. Before confirmation of his death, Kafwaya’s wife, Dinis Ng’andu, had approached the Lusaka High Court seeking an urgent hearing of an application challenging what she believed was her husband’s “continued detention”.
Harry Findlay charged with financing terrorism as High Court judge steps aside
Zambian businessman Harry Findlay has been charged with financing terrorism under the Anti-Terrorism and Non-Proliferation Act, while the High Court judge initially assigned to his case has recused himself. The case is another of the major legal and security stories in the August 21 briefing. Findlay’s lawyer, Milner Katolo, confirmed the charge on August 20. Findlay had earlier filed an application for habeas corpus, challenging his continued detention after being held since August 4, 2026. Katolo said Lusaka High Court Judge Lameck Mwale recused himself from the case on professional grounds. The matter was subsequently sent back to the Judge in Charge for reassignment. Katolo said proceedings had initially started without Findlay being present. “The matter came up this morning at 11:30 hours,” he said, explaining that the proceedings were temporarily stood down until Findlay was brought to court.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Sonam Wangchuk's forced hospitalisation intensifies India's education protests
ZCCM-IH swings from K39.85bn profit to K4.92bn loss
State-controlled mining investment company ZCCM Investments Holdings Plc (ZCCM-IH) recorded a K4.92 billion net loss for the financial year ended December 31, 2025, reversing a huge profit recorded the previous year. The financial result is among the leading economic stories in the briefing. ZCCM-IH reported a group net loss of ZMW4.92 billion, equivalent to US$195.6 million, compared with a net profit of ZMW39.85 billion, or US$1.52 billion, in 2024. The dramatic year-on-year reversal does not mean the underlying business simply lost more than K44 billion through normal operations. ZCCM-IH explained that its 2024 result had been heavily boosted by a one-off exceptional investment gain associated with the Mopani Strategic Equity Partner Transaction, which was not repeated in 2025. The company said the weaker 2025 performance also reflected the implementation of transformation initiatives intended to deliver longer-term shareholder value. Its 2025 results were published as ZCCM-IH continues restructuring and recapitalisation work across major mining investments, including Mopani Copper Mines and Konkola Copper Mines.
This story is written and edited by the Global South World team, you can contact us here.