Ukrainian rescuers complete search after Odesa drone attack kills 12

Bodies of mother and baby found as death toll from Odesa drone attack rises
Drone view shows rescue crews working at the site of a residential building heavily damaged by a Russian drone strike that killed several residents, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Odesa March 2, 2024 in this still image from handout video. State Emergency Service of Ukraine/Handout via REUTERS
Source: Handout

Ukrainian rescuers complete search after Odesa drone attack kills 12

Rescue workers completed operations on Sunday after a drone strike on an apartment building in the southern city of Odesa, finding four more bodies and bringing the death toll to 12.

Odesa regional governor Oleh Kiper, writing on Telegram, said rescue teams working into Sunday evening had found the bodies of an eight-year-old girl, near the body of her older brother, uncovered earlier.

Rescuers earlier in the day recovered the bodies of a mother and baby.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Press freedom

RSF index reveals that press freedom gaps widened globally in 2025

Kiper said five of the dead in the Odesa apartment building were children, the youngest being four months old..

The drone crashed into a residential building in Odesa on Saturday. President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said casualties could have been avoided if Ukraine had not faced delays in arms deliveries.

Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko, posting on Telegram, said Russian forces had wounded 16 people in an aerial bomb attack on an apartment building in the eastern town of Kurakhove, west of the Russian-held regional centre of Donetsk.

Two of the injured were children. Dozens of apartment buildings sustained damage.

Klymenko said on Saturday an infant was found dead alongside his mother in the rubble of the Odesa building. He posted a photograph of a rescue worker next to a bloodied blanket, a baby's arm visible on one side and an adult arm extending out the other.

Sunday was declared a day of mourning in Odesa.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.