Driver held after hitting pedestrians near Beijing primary school, state-run outlet reports

A vehicle drove into a crowd outside a Beijing primary school on Thursday and injured pedestrians, state-run China Newsweek wrote in an online post that was later deleted, citing local school and traffic authorities.

Beijing traffic police said in a statement that four people had been injured when a small passenger car "brushed" several pedestrians in Haidian district, but did not say whether the act was intentional or whether it had occurred outside a school.

They said the driver had been detained and an investigation was under way. The municipal government did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Many schools in China, a country that already has extensive surveillance systems, have increased police presence and reinforced gates since last year following a spate of similar incidents near schools and elsewhere.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Sokoto boat disaster

Survivors mourn 52 killed in Nigeria boat capsizing

Last November, an SUV ploughed into students and pedestrians outside a primary school in the southern city of Changde, injuring several people.

A week before that incident, in one of the deadliest attacks of recent years, a 62-year-old man upset with the division of assets in his divorce killed at least 35 people by ramming a car into a crowd at a sports centre in the southern city of Zhuhai.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.