Ecuador to implement nationwide blackout overnight on Wednesday

FILE PHOTO: Ecuador's President Noboa declares energy emergency
Ministry of Energy and Mines, Quito, April 16, 2024. REUTERS/Karen Toro
Source: REUTERS

Ecuador to implement nationwide blackout overnight on Wednesday

Ecuador will implement a nationwide blackout for maintenance in the country's electricity system overnight on Wednesday, from 10 p.m. local time to Thursday at 6 a.m., the government said in a statement on Sunday.

The measure is aimed at "preventative maintenance" in National Transmission System sites and in the power distribution network, the statement said. The transmission work will cost around $1.19 million, while maintenance on distribution will cost around $1 million.

The power cut comes as Ecuador contends with a serious drought that is affecting hydroelectric dams, which supply most of the country's power.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Press freedom

RSF index reveals that press freedom gaps widened globally in 2025

"This schedule was chosen with a sense of responsibility, with the aim of not affecting the daily life of Ecuadoreans, and the country's productivity," said the statement, issued by President Daniel Noboa's office.

Noboa's administration has previously ordered power cuts in times of energy shortages.

In June, officials blamed a nationwide outage on faulty transmission lines and insufficient maintenance.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.