Eleven people arrested after explosion, fire at gas complex, Venezuela minister says

Venezuela's VP Rodriguez holds news conference in Caracas
FILE PHOTO: Venezuela's Vice President Delcy Rodriguez gestures as she speaks during a news conference in Caracas, Venezuela, April 7, 2021. REUTERS/Manaure Quintero/File Photo
Source: X07040

By Deisy Buitrago

Eleven people have been arrested as part of an investigation into an explosion and fire at a major gas complex last week, Venezuela's vice-president and oil minister Delcy Rodriguez said on Monday.

The Muscar gas complex in the country's eastern Monagas region, operated by state oil company PDVSA, was temporarily shutdown after a pipeline explosion caused a fire, injuring at least five workers and forcing tougher power rationing in some places.

Several foreigners connected to the case have fled the country, Rodriguez said, adding PDVSA had suffered $157 million in impact, though it was unclear if that figure corresponded only to the Muscar incident or to others as well.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Press freedom

RSF index reveals that press freedom gaps widened globally in 2025

Muscar distributes gas for reinjection to oilfields and domestic supply.

Rodriguez, who appeared with Hector Obregon, the head of PDVSA, and the company's head of security, said at least three other attacks had taken place or were attempted against PDVSA facilities this month.

The government in Venezuela, whose President Nicolas Maduro is expected to begin a third term next year after a fierce dispute with the opposition over which side won a July presidential election, has said repeatedly that sabotage and terrorism are behind incidents at oil and power facilities, including a nationwide August black out.

Maduro has often held his political rivals responsible for "attacks" on the power grid without offering evidence, accusations the opposition has always denied.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.