Italian PM's former partner loses TV show over sexist comments

FILE PHOTO: Giambruno attends Meloni's swearing-in ceremony at Quirinale Palace, in Rome
FILE PHOTO: Andrea Giambruno, partner of Italy's new Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, arrives at the Quirinale Presidential Palace for the swearing-in ceremony of Italy's new government, in Rome, Italy October 22, 2022. REUTERS/Yara Nardi/File Photo
Source: X06600

Meloni announced last week she had separated from Giambruno after a satirical current affairs programme broadcast off-air video excerpts from Giambruno's show, in which he used foul language and appeared to make advances to a female colleague.

Audio excerpts also revealed him talking about being in an affair and telling colleagues they could work with him if they took part in group sex.

Mediaset, the media company that transmits both programmes, said late on Tuesday that Giambruno was "sorry about the embarrassment and unease caused by his behaviour" and had agreed with the company he would no longer present the show.

He will however, continue to work on the programme, called "Diario del giorno" (diary of the day) as a behind-the-scenes coordinator, said Mediaset, which is part of the MFE media group. MFE is owned by the heirs of the late Silvio Berlusconi, a former prime minister and Meloni ally.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

There IS a war in Europe!' - Magyar

Hungary's Magyar calls for stronger military amid European uncertainty

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.