Mexican state pledges compensation for stage collapse victims

Aftermath where a structure collapses at a campaign event for the Citizens' Movement party, in San Pedro Garza Garcia
A drone view shows the aftermath of an accident in which a gust of wind caused a structure to collapse, resulting in multiple fatalities and injuries, at a campaign event for the Citizens' Movement party, in San Pedro Garza Garcia, Nuevo Leon, Mexico May 23, 2024. REUTERS/ Daniel Becerril/ File Photo
Source: REUTERS

Mexican state pledges compensation for stage collapse victims

The northern Mexican state of Nuevo Leon will compensate the victims of a stage collapse that killed nine people and injured scores at an election campaign event on Wednesday, the governor said.

Samuel Garcia said on social media that 144 patients had been discharged and 36 remain hospitalized. The state government plans to compensate the relatives of the deceased, eight adults and one child, with 400,000 pesos ($23,900).

Hospitalized victims would receive 100,000 pesos each "until their recovery or discharge", Garcia said. He did not elaborate.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Sokoto boat disaster

Survivors mourn 52 killed in Nigeria boat capsizing

Jorge Alvarez Maynez, the presidential candidate for the centrist Citizens' Movement party, said on X that all the injured were stable.

Maynez had attributed the stage collapse at the event in the city of San Pedro Garza Garcia, a wealthy enclave near the industrial hub of Monterrey, to high winds.

Video of the accident showed the structure suddenly falling forward into the crowd, sending politicians on the stage and panicked attendees running for cover.

In the presidential election slated for June 2, Maynez is polling in third place, trailing far behind ruling party candidate Claudia Sheinbaum and second-place contender Xochitl Galvez, who represents a broad opposition coalition.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.