Paris prosecutor opens probe into Le Pen's 2022 campaign financing

Second round of France's 2022 presidential election
FILE PHOTO: Marine Le Pen, French far-right National Rally (Rassemblement National) party candidate for the 2022 French presidential election, reacts after her defeat in the second round of the 2022 French presidential election, at the Pavillon d'Armenonville, in Paris, France, April 24, 2022. REUTERS/Yves Herman/File Photo
Source: X00380

Paris prosecutor opens probe into Le Pen's 2022 campaign financing

The Paris prosecutor's office said on Tuesday it had launched a preliminary probe into allegations of illegal financing of far right National Rally (RN) leader Marine Le Pen's campaign for the 2022 presidential race, which she lost to Emmanuel Macron.

The investigation, which was opened on July 2, follows a 2023 report by the National Commission on Campaign Accounts and Political Financing (CNCCFP), which scrutinizes candidates' election expenses and funding, the prosecutor's office said.

It will look into allegations of embezzlement, forgery, fraud, and that a candidate on an electoral campaign accepted a loan.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Press freedom

RSF index reveals that press freedom gaps widened globally in 2025

Le Pen and her party have previously denied wrongdoing in connection with campaign financing. The National Rally could not be immediately reached for comment.

Separately Le Pen is to stand trial later this year alongside 27 others over alleged misuse of European Union funds, charges that Le Pen's party has said it contested.

That investigation, opened in 2016, aimed to ascertain whether the then National Front had used money destined for EU parliamentary assistants to pay staff who were working for the party.

At the head of RN until 2021, Marine Le Pen ran against Emmanuel Macron in the 2017 and 2022 presidential elections, and could again run in 2027.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.