Saudi Arabia forms global alliance to push for Israeli-Palestinian two-state solution

World leaders gather for the 79th annual United Nations General Assembly
FILE PHOTO: Saudi Arabia Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud listens as U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken speaks during a meeting with Foreign Ministers of the Gulf Cooperation Council Member States in New York City, U.S., September 25, 2024. REUTERS/Caitlin Ochs/Pool/File Photo
Source: REUTERS

Saudi Arabia forms global alliance to push for Israeli-Palestinian two-state solution

By Clauda Tanios

Saudi Arabia has formed a global alliance to push for a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the country's foreign minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud said on Thursday on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly meeting in New York.

The alliance includes a number of Arab and Muslim countries and European partners, the Saudi state news agency reported, without specifying which countries had committed to join.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Turkmenistan flag

Turkmenistan Roundup: Halk Maslahaty preparations, smart energy, and Caspian diplomacy

European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said on X the first meetings would be in Riyadh and Brussels.

After the eruption of the Gaza war last October between Israel and the militant Palestinian group Hamas that rules Gaza, Saudi Arabia put on ice U.S.-backed plans for the kingdom to normalise ties with Israel, two sources familiar with Riyadh's thinking said earlier this year.

"Implementing the two-state solution is the best solution to break the cycle of conflict and suffering, and enforce a new reality in which the entire region, including Israel, enjoys security and coexistence", bin Farhan was quoted as saying.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said last week the kingdom would not recognise Israel without a Palestinian state and strongly condemned the "crimes of the Israeli occupation" against the Palestinian people.

Israel and Hamas have been waging war since gunmen from the Palestinian militant group in the Gaza Strip stormed into southern Israel on Oct. 7, killing 1,200 people and capturing some 250 hostages, by Israeli tallies.

Israel responded with a military offensive in Gaza in which more than 41,500 Palestinians have been killed, according to Gaza health authorities. Israel says it will press on with its intensified campaign against Lebanon's Hezbollah, after nearly a year of cross-border fire in parallel with the Gaza war.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.