South Korea's Lee declares disaster zones after floods

Aftermath of a landslide, in Sancheong county
FILE PHOTO: A drone view of the aftermath of a landslide, following days of torrential rain that triggered floods and landslides, in Sancheong county, South Korea, July 20, 2025, in this still image taken from a handout video. Seo Kyung Broadcasting/Handout via REUTERS/File Photo
Source: Handout

South Korea's President Lee Jae Myung declared six districts as special disaster zones on Tuesday after days of torrential rains left a trail of destruction in parts of the country.

The wet weather has now subsided, though media reports said heavy rainfall was drenching parts of North Korea.

Around 19 people have died and nine were still missing in South Korea as of Tuesday morning, while 2,549 people were still displaced, the Ministry of the Interior and Safety said.

Around 3,776 facilities, including homes, shops and factories, needing to be cleared of water, debris and earth, the ministry added.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Sokoto boat disaster

Survivors mourn 52 killed in Nigeria boat capsizing

President Lee's declaration of special disaster zones - including in Gapeyeong on the outskirts of Seoul - gave authorities access to emergency administrative and financial support to aid victims.

He earlier told public officials to "spare no effort" in the search for missing people.

The president's approval rating slipped to 62.2% from 64.6% in a survey conducted last week during the rains, according to pollster Realmeter.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.