Israel strikes Gaza Catholic church, killing three

Aftermmath of an Israeli strike on The Church of the Holy Family in Gaza City
A wounded Palestinian Christian woman is brought into at Al-Ahli Arab Hospital following an Israeli strike on The Church of the Holy Family, according to medics, in Gaza City July 17, 2025. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas
Source: REUTERS

An Israeli strike on Gaza's sole Catholic Church killed three people and injured several others, the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, which oversees the small parish, said on Thursday.

The Patriarchate condemned "this targeting of innocent civilians and of a sacred place," saying two women and one man had died in the attack on the Holy Family Church.

"This horrific war must come to a complete end," it said, adding the victims had turned to the church compound as a safe haven "after their homes, possessions, and dignity had already been stripped away."

The Holy Family Church spoke in a separate statement of "a number of injured, some in critical condition."

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

There IS a war in Europe!' - Magyar

Hungary's Magyar calls for stronger military amid European uncertainty

In a telegram for the victims, Pope Leo said he was "deeply saddened" and called for "an immediate ceasefire."

The pope expressed his "profound hope for dialogue, reconciliation and enduring peace in the region," according to the telegram which was signed by the Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin and made no mention of Israel.

The Israeli military said later on Thursday that an initial inquiry suggested fragments from a shell fired during operational activity in the area hit the church mistakenly and the cause of the incident was under review.

It also said the country did not target churches or religious sites and regretted harm to them or civilians.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said "Israel deeply regrets that a stray ammunition hit Gaza's Holy Family Church" and that "every innocent life lost is a tragedy."

"Israel is investigating the incident and remains committed to protecting civilians and holy sites," Netanyahu said in a statement.

The Patriarchate earlier said the parish priest, Father Gabriel Romanelli, was among those injured, and his church had sustained damage.

Father Romanelli, an Argentine, used to update the late Pope Francis regularly about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict via calls and messages.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Poland's wealth boom leaves old money behind

Poland's wealth boom leaves old money behind

TV footage showed him sitting receiving treatment at Al-Ahly Hospital in Gaza, with a bandage around his lower right leg.

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni blamed Israel for the strike on the religious compound.

"The attacks against the civilian population that Israel has been carrying out for months are unacceptable. No military action can justify such an attitude," she said in a statement.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.