Ukraine's Zelenskiy suggests truce until meeting with Putin can be arranged

Ukraine's President Zelenskiy holds a press conference in Kyiv
FILE PHOTO: Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskiy speaks to the media during a press conference, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine May 13, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko/File Photo
Source: REUTERS

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy on Wednesday proposed implementing a ceasefire until a meeting can be arranged with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"My proposal, which I believe our partners can support, is that we agree a ceasefire with the Russians until the leaders meet," Zelenskiy told a briefing in Kyiv.

"At this time, people will understand that the nations, Europe, Ukraine and the whole world have a chance to end the war," he said, adding that monitoring of the ceasefire could be discussed at the meeting.

Zelenskiy said Kyiv would "be grateful" for support for the idea from U.S. President Donald Trump.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

There IS a war in Europe!' - Magyar

Hungary's Magyar calls for stronger military amid European uncertainty

Russia has resisted Ukrainian and Western calls for a ceasefire, saying that certain conditions must first be met.

On Wednesday Russian President Vladimir Putin repeated Moscow's stance that any ceasefire would simply be used by Ukraine to acquire more Western weapons. Putin also questioned the point of peace talks after accusing Ukraine of ordering deadly attacks on bridges in Russia that killed seven and injured 115 more.

Zelenskiy said President Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, which hosted peace talks on Monday, had expressed support for a top-level meeting of the presidents of Ukraine, Russia, the U.S. and Turkey.

The June 2 talks in Istanbul made little progress towards ending the three-year-old war in Ukraine, though the sides exchanged proposals as well as a plan for another major swap of prisoners of war.

Zelenskiy said the POW exchange would begin over the coming weekend.

"The Russian side has informed us that this weekend, on Saturday and Sunday, it can return 500 people," he said.

Ukrainian Defence Minister Rustem Umerov has previously said the next exchange would focus on swapping the severely wounded and the young, as well as the bodies of dead soldiers.

Zelenskiy said Ukraine had not received a Russian response to the document Kyiv shared ahead of Monday's meeting in Istanbul and he characterised the Russian proposals as ultimatums.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Djibouti Flag

Djibouti Roundup: EU security ties, tributes to a national statesman, and new UN development partnerships

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.