US says it had no involvement in attempted failed coup in Bolivia

Bolivia's armed forces mobilize as President Arce "denounced the irregular mobilization", in La Paz
FILE PHOTO: Members of Bolivia's military gather next to a military vehicle as President Luis Arce "denounced the irregular mobilization" of some units of the country's army in La Paz, Bolivia, June 26, 2024. REUTERS/Claudia Morales/File Photo
Source: REUTERS

US says it had no involvement in attempted failed coup in Bolivia

The United States had no involvement in a failed coup attempt in Bolivia last week, the White House said on Wednesday.

"The U.S. had no involvement in that," White House spokesperson Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters in a press briefing, adding Washington had condemned the deployment of army units in Bolivia.

The failed coup attempt was led by the country's former top military commander, Juan Jose Zuniga, who alleged the nation's president had asked him to do something to boost his popularity. Bolivian President Luis Arce has denied any involvement and Zuniga was arrested.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Gustavo Petro leaves the Casa de Nariño

Petro leaves presidential palace as De la Espriella takes office

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.