US sends condolences, offers support to Rio after police raid on drugs, letter shows

FILE PHOTO: Funeral for Ravel Rios, one of those killed during a deadly police operation against drug trafficking, in Rio de Janeiro
FILE PHOTO: Rakhel Rios, mother of 19-year-old Ravel Rios, one of those killed during a deadly police operation against drug trafficking, reacts during his funeral, at a cemetery in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, October 31, 2025. REUTERS/Pilar Olivares/File Photo
Source: REUTERS

The U.S. expressed condolences to Brazil's Rio de Janeiro state for the four police officers killed in a raid that left over 100 people dead last week, while also offering any support needed, a letter seen by Reuters from a U.S. government official to Rio's security head showed.

The raid targeting the Comando Vermelho gang has been described by Rio state officials as a success. Conservative Governor Claudio Castro said the "only real victims" were the police officers killed, and that all the others killed were criminals.

The November 4 letter signed by James Sparks, a Drug Enforcement Administration official in the U.S. Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro, expressed condolences for the police officers but did not mention the others killed in the operation.

"In this moment of mourning, we reiterate our respect and admiration for the tireless work of state's security forces and offer our support for any assistance that may be needed," said the letter to the secretary for public security of Rio de Janeiro state, Victor dos Santos.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

The rescue dog that located 26 people

Meet Tsunami, the rescue dog who helped locate 26 people after Venezuela’s earthquakes

Brazil's leftist President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Tuesday called the raid "disastrous," while United Nations officials have criticized the heavy casualties and said there should be an investigation.

Conservatives in the Brazilian Congress are attempting to designate Comando Vermelho as a terrorist organization, which Brazil refused to do earlier this year after a request by the Trump administration.

In a statement, the Rio de Janeiro government said its security forces maintain a constant exchange of information with U.S. institutions combating drug trafficking. This dialogue has nothing to do with allowing "U.S. actions on Brazilian soil," it added.

The U.S. Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro said representatives of the U.S. mission in Brazil "expressed their sincere condolences for the police officers killed in last week's operation."

The consulate added that the U.S. and Brazil have a long tradition of cooperation on public safety issues, which benefits both countries.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.