WHO says polio mass vaccination campaign to resume in Gaza

Second phase of polio vaccination campaign in north Gaza after delay due to Israeli operation
FILE PHOTO: A Palestinian child is vaccinated against polio during the second round of a vaccination campaign, amid the Israel-Hamas conflict, in Gaza City, November 2, 2024. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas/File Photo
Source: REUTERS

The World Health Organization said on Wednesday that a mass campaign to vaccinate children against polio in Gaza would resume on Saturday, with over half a million children targeted.

"The current environment in Gaza, including overcrowding in shelters and severely damaged water, sanitation and hygiene infrastructure, which facilitates fecal-oral transmission, create ideal conditions for further spread of poliovirus," the WHO statement said.

"Extensive population movement consequent to the current ceasefire is likely to exacerbate the spread of poliovirus infection," it added.

In September and October last year WHO conducted two rounds of vaccinations across the enclave, reaching over 95% of the target.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Press freedom

RSF index reveals that press freedom gaps widened globally in 2025

The virus is still circulating in the enclave, meaning it could still reach a child who is under or un-immunized. Six samples tested positive in December and January, WHO added.

Though access for health workers has improved since the ceasefire came into place on January 19, some areas could not be accessed due to the fighting at the time. 7,000 children missed vaccination in Jabalia, Beit Lahiya, and Beit Hanoun, according to the organisation.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.