Namibia's top court dismisses opposition election challenge

Namibians head back to the polls after voting delays
FILE PHOTO: Panduleni Itula, presidential candidate for opposition party IPC (Independent Patriots for Change) speaks during a press conference in Windhoek, Namibia, November 29, 2024. REUTERS/Noah Tjijenda/File Photo
Source: REUTERS

By Nyasha Nyaungwa

Namibia's Supreme Court on Friday dismissed a challenge against last year's presidential election brought by opposition parties, clearing the way for the ruling party's Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah to take office next month.

The Southern African country's SWAPO party, which has governed the nation of around 3 million people for more than three decades, won both the presidential and parliamentary elections in November.

Opposition parties alleged the election was flawed and potentially invalid due to an extension of voting for several days, among other issues.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

US oil investment push

Niger Roundup: US oil investment push, security concerns in Bilma, soaring meat prices grip Niger

Namibia's Chief Justice Peter Shivute ruled that the decision to extend voting was lawful and dismissed the challenge brought by the Independent Patriots for Change (IPC), which came second in the polls.

In its case, the IPC was joined by another opposition party, the Landless People's Movement.

"Their challenge to the outcome for the 2024 presidential election ... fails," Shivute said.

The IPC's leader and presidential candidate last year, Panduleni Itula, said his party would abide by the judgment.

"We are not going to the streets to demonstrate or anything like that," Itula said.

Nandi-Ndaitwah will be sworn-in as Namibia's first female president on March 21.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.