Russia says it killed foreign mercenaries in strike on Ukraine's Kharkiv

Russia says it killed foreign mercenaries in strike on Ukraine's Kharkiv

Russia said on Wednesday its forces had carried out a precision strike a day earlier on a building housing "foreign fighters" in Ukraine's second city Kharkiv.

The defence ministry said the fighters were mostly French mercenaries and the building was destroyed, with more than 60 people killed. It did not provide evidence, and Reuters could not verify the claims.

Local officials in Kharkiv said two Russian missiles struck a residential area in the centre of the city on Tuesday, injuring 17 people, two of them seriously, and badly damaging homes.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

There IS a war in Europe!' - Magyar

Hungary's Magyar calls for stronger military amid European uncertainty

The French foreign ministry did not immediately respond for comment.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.