Russian attacks kill at least five in Ukraine's east, officials say

Head of the Donetsk Regional Military Administration Filashkin attends an interview with Reuters in Donetsk region
Vadym Filashkin, head of the Donetsk Regional Military Administration, attends an interview with Reuters, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in an undisclosed location in Donetsk region, Ukraine February 2, 2024. REUTERS/Alina Smutko/File Photo
Source: X07885

Russian shelling killed at least five people on Monday in different frontline areas of eastern Ukraine, officials said.

Vadym Filashkin, governor of Donetsk region, the focal point of the Russian military's slow westward advance, said one person was killed and two injured in the city of Kramatorsk.

The city would be a key Russian target if its forces make further progress through Donetsk region.

Filashkin said two more people were killed and three injured further south in the town of Illinivka.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

There IS a war in Europe!' - Magyar

Hungary's Magyar calls for stronger military amid European uncertainty

In Kharkiv region, farther to the north, prosecutors said two women were killed in a village south of Kupiansk, which has come under heavy Russian attack for months. The mayor of Kupiansk last month said his city was 90% destroyed.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.