Dozens hurt in suspected car ramming attack in Munich before German election

Several injured after car drives into crowd of people in Munich
Police work at a car which drove into a crowd in Munich, Germany, February 13, 2025, injuring several people. REUTERS/Wolfgang Rattay
Source: REUTERS

By Joern Poltz, Wolfgang Rattay and Anja Guder

At least 30 people were hurt when a car driven by an Afghan national ploughed into a crowd in Munich on Thursday in what the state premier said was probably an attack, putting security back in focus before next week's federal election.

The suspected attack came hours before international leaders including U.S. Vice President JD Vance and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy were due to arrive in the southern German city for the Munich Security Conference.

At least 30 people were injured, some of them seriously, according to the latest police report.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Press freedom

RSF index reveals that press freedom gaps widened globally in 2025

Police said a white car had approached police vehicles that were accompanying a demonstration of striking workers, before speeding up and slamming into people. One shot was fired at the suspect but he was not hit, police added.

Officers detained the 24-year-old driver. They said his motive was unclear.

"It was probably an attack," Bavaria state premier Markus Soeder told reporters.

The suspect was named Farhad Noori, a spokesperson for the general prosecutor’s office in Munich said.

He was in Germany legally, said Munich Mayor Dieter Reiter later on Thursday, correcting an earlier statement by the interior minister that he was in Germany illegally and should have been deported.

Immigration and security issues have dominated campaigning ahead of the February 23 election, especially after other violent incidents in recent weeks, with polls showing the centre-right conservatives leading followed by the far right.

In December, six people were killed in an attack on a Christmas market in Magdeburg and last month a toddler and adult were killed in a knife attack in the Bavarian town of Aschaffenburg. Immigrants have been arrested over both attacks.

Conservative Friedrich Merz, frontrunner to be Germany's next chancellor, said safety would be his top priority.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Aftermath of a Russian missile attack on an apartment building, in Ternopil

G7 and European leaders discuss Ukraine plan on margins of G20, sources say

"We will enforce law and order. Everyone must feel safe in our country again. Something has to change in Germany," Merz posted on X.

Merz has accused Social Democrat Chancellor Olaf Scholz of being soft on immigration and last month, he even broke a taboo by winning a parliamentary vote on asylum with the support of the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD).

MIGRATION DOMINATES CAMPAIGN

The AfD, in second place in polls, also seized on the incident, with co-leader Alice Weidel focusing on the driver being an Afghan asylum seeker.

"Should this go on forever? Migration turnaround now!" she posted on social media platform X.

Scholz said the perpetrator could not hope for leniency. "He must be punished and he must leave the country," said Scholz.

About four hours after the incident, the street where it took place was strewn with items of clothing and bags, a broken pram, a shoe and a pair of glasses.

Police set up a gathering point for witnesses in the Loewenbraeukeller, one of Munich's oldest beer halls.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) holds a two-day job fair in Arlington

US hires 50,000 federal workers under Trump, boosting immigration roles

A passer-by said he witnessed the incident from a window of a neighbouring office building. The car, a white Mini Cooper, had threaded its way between the police vehicles and then accelerated, he said.

Another witness said she had seen part of the incident from a building. The car had accelerated and hit several people in the crowd, she said.

People in the crowd had been taking part in a strike held by the Verdi public sector workers' union whose leader, Frank Werneke, expressed shock but said he had no further details.

Bavaria's interior minister said he did not suspect there was a connection to the Munich Security Conference, which starts on Friday.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.