UN rights chief calls for access to Cameroon's Anglophone regions
- #Advocacy Groups
- #Pressure Groups
- #Lobbies
- #Africa
- #Overseas Development Aid
- #Central Africa
- #Fundamental Rights
- #Civil Liberties
- #Conflicts
- #War
- #Peace
- #Diplomacy
- #Foreign Policy
- #Human Rights
- #Civil Rights
- #Aid Relief
- #Humanitarian Agencies
- #Judicial Process
- #Court Cases
- #Court Decisions
- #Non-Governmental Organizations
- #International
- #National Security
- #United Nations
UN rights chief calls for access to Cameroon's Anglophone regions
The U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights requested on Wednesday better access to Cameroon's restive separatist regions and called for revisions to an anti-terror law that rights groups say has been used to silent dissent.
Factions of secessionist militias have been battling government troops in Cameroon's two English-speaking regions since 2017, leading to thousands of deaths and displacing nearly 800,000 people.
"I have called on the government to facilitate humanitarian access to areas affected by conflict," Volker Turk said after a two-day visit to the Central African country.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Niger Roundup: US oil investment push, security concerns in Bilma, soaring meat prices grip Niger
"I have also urged the government to revise the 2014 anti-terrorism law in this regard," he said.
Amnesty International has described that law, which mandates the death penalty, as repressive and says it curtails rights protected in Cameroon's constitution.
In a 2022 report, Amnesty found that the majority of people jailed from the Anglophone regions had been sentenced under the law.
In 2017 a journalist was sentenced to 10 years in prison on terrorism charges under the legislation.
This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.