Yemen Houthi leader: No ships linked to Israel passed during last week

FILE PHOTO: Protesters rally to show support for Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, in Sanaa
FILE PHOTO: A demonstrator holds up a portrait of Houthi leader Abdul-Malik al-Houthi at a rally to show support for Palestinians in Gaza, in Sanaa, Yemen, February 9, 2024. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah/File Photo
Source: X03662

Yemen Houthi leader: No ships linked to Israel passed during last week

The leader of Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis said on Tuesday that the group had been able to prevent Israeli-linked ships from passing through the Gulf of Aden over the last week.

"The Americans and the British failed to secure the passage of any ship heading to Israel. They were unable to protect these ships. They can no longer protect even American-British ships, and this is a real and major victory for us," Abdul Malik al-Houthi said in a televised speech.

Houthi militants, who control Yemen's most populous regions, have repeatedly fired on international commercial ships since mid-November. Their targets have been vessels with commercial ties to the United States, Britain or Israel, according to shipping and insurance sources.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Taiwan's explosions injure 15(1)

Explosions at Taiwan waste site injure 15, damage dozens of homes

"The Israeli, American and British agenda seeks to bring an end to the Palestinian issue," al-Houthi said. Houthi operations in the Red Sea, he said, were "legitimate (ones) to help support the people of Gaza and lift the siege being imposed on them."

The Houthis say they have targeted shipping in solidarity with Palestinians over the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza.

The attacks have prompted several companies to halt Red Sea journeys and opt for a longer and more expensive route around the African continent, and U.S. and British warplanes have carried out retaliatory strikes across Yemen.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.