Yemen's Houthis say they downed US MQ-9 drone in Yemen's Maareb

Yemen's Houthis say they downed US MQ-9 drone in Yemen's Maareb

Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis said they downed a U.S. MQ-9 drone in Yemen's southeastern province of Maareb, the group's military spokesman said in a televised speech on Wednesday.

Houthis's spokesman Yahya Sarea said that this drone "is the sixth UAV that has been shot down so far".

On May 21, Houthis shot down another drone over al-Bayda province in Southern Yemen.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Japan's PM triggers media storm over Three Non-Nuclear Principles

Takaichi sparks debate over Japan's non-nuclear principles

The group, which controls Yemen's capital and most populous areas of the Arabian Peninsula state, has attacked international shipping in the Red Sea since November in solidarity with the Palestinians in the war between Israel and Hamas militants, drawing U.S. and British retaliatory strikes since February.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.