Finland notifies UN of withdrawal from landmine ban treaty

Finnish flag flies over the City Hall in Helsinki
FILE PHOTO: A Finnish flag flies over the City Hall in Helsinki, Finland, February 10, 2024. REUTERS/Tom Little/File photo
Source: X07836

Finland has notified the United Nations it is leaving the Ottawa Convention that bans the use of anti-personnel landmines, its foreign ministry said late on Thursday.

The withdrawal will take effect six months after the notification, in January 2026, the ministry said in a statement.

Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland and Poland - all NATO and EU members bordering Russia - have approved withdrawal from the treaty, citing the increased military danger from their neighbour.

Earlier in July, Reuters reported that Lithuania and Finland are set to start domestic production of anti-personnel landmines next year to supply themselves, according to officials from the two NATO member states.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

There IS a war in Europe!' - Magyar

Hungary's Magyar calls for stronger military amid European uncertainty

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.