Hundreds of German police raid properties in probe into 'Reichsbuerger' coup plot

Suspected German 'Reichsbuerger' coup plotters go on trial, in Frankfurt
Razor wires are lined outside a temporary facility set up to house the courtroom for the trial against the inner circle of a group of Reichsbuerger (Citizens of the Reich) who are alleged to have plotted the violent overthrow of the German government in 2022, ahead of the start of the trial in Frankfurt, Germany, May 21, 2024. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach/ File Photo
Source: REUTERS

Hundreds of German police raid properties in probe into 'Reichsbuerger' coup plot

Over 700 police searched properties in three German states on Tuesday associated with two suspects in the far-right "Reichsbuerger" group that plotted to overthrow the government, the federal prosecutor's office said.

The search warrants were carried out against a 73-year-old man and a 63-year-old woman residing in the southwestern German state of Baden-Wuerttemberg.

Prosecutors said they are suspected of providing the group surrounding German aristocrat and property investor Heinrich XIII Prinz Reuss with facilities to recruit new members.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Press freedom

RSF index reveals that press freedom gaps widened globally in 2025

According to Spiegel newsmagazine, which was the first to report the news on Tuesday, investigators were also looking for possible weapons depots as the 73-year-old suspect possessed a considerable number of firearms.

No arrests were made during the searches, Spiegel added.

Reuss went on trial last month, and he and eight other defendants in custody have denied charges of terrorism and high treason.

They are among a total of 27 people facing trial this year on accusations that they conspired in a plot foiled by authorities at the end of 2022. Together they amount to one of the largest legal proceedings in German history.

The "Reichsbuerger" (Citizens of the Reich) believe that today's German democracy is an illegitimate facade and that they are citizens of a monarchy which, they maintain, endured after Germany's defeat in World War One, despite its formal abolition.

The group planned to install Reuss, who is a scion of a now-throneless dynasty, as caretaker head of state, prosecutors say.

The large-scale police operation began on Tuesday morning and involved more than 700 officers including special forces from several states and the explosive ordnance disposal service.

Police were combing through seven properties and three plots of land across the states of Saxony, Baden-Wuerttemberg and Schleswig-Holstein, prosecutors said.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Aftermath of a Russian missile attack on an apartment building, in Ternopil

G7 and European leaders discuss Ukraine plan on margins of G20, sources say

The targeted properties include bunkers and a former military training site, Spiegel reported.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.