Lebanon aims to ensure Hezbollah response to Israeli attack does not cause wider war

Demonstrators hold Hezbollah and Palestinian flags during in a protest condemning the killing of Hamas chief Ismail Haniyeh, in Sidon
Demonstrators hold Hezbollah and Palestinian flags during in a protest condemning the killing of Hamas chief Ismail Haniyeh, in Sidon, Lebanon August 5, 2024. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
Source: REUTERS

Lebanon aims to ensure Hezbollah response to Israeli attack does not cause wider war

Lebanon is working to ensure any response to the Israeli killing of a top Hezbollah commander in Beirut does not trigger total war in the Middle East, its Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib said on Tuesday.

Tensions in the region have spiralled in the last week following the killing in Tehran of Palestinian militant group Hamas' leader, and an Israeli strike on Beirut's suburbs that killed the senior commander Fuad Shukr.

Hezbollah said last week that the Iran-backed group will respond in a studied manner.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

US oil investment push

Niger Roundup: US oil investment push, security concerns in Bilma, soaring meat prices grip Niger

Israel and Hezbollah have been trading fire since Hamas attacked Israel on Oct.7 and ignited a war in Gaza.

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.