'Physically impossible' - Ceuta police union chief says up to 10,000 migrant deportations need Morocco deal
Spain's People's Party (PP) met police unions and Civil Guard associations in Ceuta on Tuesday, as security forces called for more resources and a political solution to the city's migration crisis.
Union representatives said thousands of migrants remain in Ceuta following mass arrivals from Morocco at the end of July, increasing pressure on police, healthcare and other public services.
Daniel Lopez, President of Spain's Professional Police Union (SPP), called for stronger diplomatic cooperation with Morocco to speed up the return of migrants without a legal right to remain.
He said Ceuta was "a long way from returning to normal" and accused the central government of failing to provide sufficient personnel and resources.
Carlos Prieto, Secretary General of Spain's Unified Police Union (SUP), also called for "extraordinary measures" to identify and process new arrivals.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Niger Roundup: US oil investment push, security concerns in Bilma, soaring meat prices grip Niger
Police unions further criticised conditions for some officers deployed to Ceuta, alleging they had been forced to sleep on mattresses on the floor and share limited bathroom facilities.
Aaron Rivero, General Secretary of the JUPOL police union, said officers had also faced violent incidents involving knives and machetes. "There were fights among them - with machetes and knives - and when the police showed up, they all banded together to attack us," Rivero said.
The unions said the Government Delegation in Ceuta had not responded to requests for meetings. Tuesday's talks were attended by PP representatives and Ceuta President Juan Jesus Vivas.
This story is written and edited by the Global South World team, you can contact us here.