Storm rips through coastal South African province, killing 11

Storm rips through coastal South African province, killing 11

A storm ripped through the South African coastal province of KwaZulu-Natal on Monday, killing at least 11 people and leaving a trail of destruction in its wake, local officials said.

Drone footage taken on Tuesday in the South African town of Tongaat showed residents sifting through debris strewn around their damaged homes, trying to salvage what was left of their belongings.

Local media cited the premier of KwaZulu-Natal, Nomusa Dube-Ncube, as saying the death toll could rise from the 11 reported killed so far.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

US oil investment push

Niger Roundup: US oil investment push, security concerns in Bilma, soaring meat prices grip Niger

Trevor Freemantle, who was driving in the area, filmed dark clouds swirling above the suburb of La Mercy near Durban.

"It really did look like something you would see in a movie," he told Reuters. "After it passed I noticed vehicles that had been struck by debris and a truck had been turned on its side."

This article was produced by Reuters news agency. It has not been edited by Global South World.